Friday, December 6, 2013

Skirt construction

Lucky for me, the Neopixel strand comes with an adhesive backing, so I just peeled back the layer and stuck the lights directly on the skirt's lining; it seems to be sticking just fine, so I'm delighted that I don't have to use hot glue or sew it into place.  It's a real time-saver at this point!
It took me a really long time to figure out how to wire the D1 (D10 for SquareWear) connection.  I tried to use my thin jewelry wire, but, for some reason, the solder just wouldn't grab onto it.  Thicker wire worked pretty well, so I'm fine using that.  I put the electrical tape on the 5V and GND connections to make sure nothing crossed while I was testing.
...and speaking of testing!  I was petrified that things wouldn't work, so I decided to test the connection with just the D1/10 pin soldered on.  To my delight, everything works properly!
I finished off tonight's work by sewing the wire into place above the lights so that it wouldn't move around and disrupt the connection.  That surprisingly took a long time, but at least it's done now.  You can't even see the wire when the chiffon layer is pulled over it, so that's a plus.

I spent a bit over an hour in the lab tonight.  More work to come, but I'm almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment